Monday, December 1, 2008

Goodbye Kuala Lumpur, G'day Adelaide

The very first time I set foot in Australia was in 1996. I was awed and amazed by her vast natural beauty and warmed by the friendliness of her people. I wondered what my life would have been like if my parents made the move years ago when dad was offered an Australian PR in 1976?

What kind of person would I have turned out to be? Where would I be today? Would I be the same restless spirit I am now, looking beyond the shores of home, seeking a new life and new experiences? Or would I have been content living the Australian life?

After a couple more trips since then to Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Canberra, the longing to live there, to call Australia my home become a pull so strong that I knew that one day I had to leave Malaysia for her.

How I was going to do just that, wasn't very clear. All this while, I didn't think that I would qualify for migration on my own and mistakenly assumed that I would have to depend on an expat spouse or a business opportunity.

As the years passed, the glimmer of hope slowly faded until a conversation I had with an uncle in Feb 08. He told me the only way I was going to get there was if I met and married an Australian. It irked me so much to think that my destiny, my dreams depended on someone else that out of sheer determination to just prove him wrong, I took the first step of contacting an agent to do an assessment.

That step soon changed the course of my life and reinforced in me the belief that if you really want to go after your dream, to just do it, against the odds and more so when people tell you that you can't.

No comments: