Saturday, December 6, 2008

Flawless Fun


This morning, I had the pleasure of having my face made up by Tommy Charles, one of Laura Mercier's top artists who works on celebrities like Julia Roberts and Mandy Moore. Needless to say I felt like a million dollars and giggled like a school girl when he commented to the crowd that I had flawless skin which needed very minimal make-up.

Although I was floating on a cloud by then, it wasn't Tommy or his comments that made my day. I can't remember when was the last time I had so much fun with my mom. It was totally a girlie day out with her, laughing and chatting with other women. We have been so caught up with the daily routine of life, getting on each other's nerves and listening to the same mundane stories that it was just awesome being with her in a totally different environment.

We met this wonderful American lady who just arrived in Kuala Lumpur two months ago. She's a widow, mother of 3 and grandmother of 5. Recently retired from US Customs, Pam is not your typical grandma retiree. This amazing woman inspired me so much by her courage and love for life. She's out here in Asia all by herself after accepting a position with the US Embassy in KL. No friends, no family and halfway round the world from home, she's upbeat, cheerful and just game to embark on the next adventure. Meeting her fueled my desire even more to start a life in Australia. She showed me that no matter how old you are, you are never too old to follow your dream and your heart.

Sometimes you meet someone and you instinctively know that this person is going to be prominent in your life and that's exactly how I feel about Pam. It doesn't matter that she is probably 30+ years older than me, she lives her life according to the spirit that I am trying to live mine.

It was great that mom got along well with Pam. She's normally so shy among new people that I was surprised that she was chatting with her so easily. I was also deeply touched to see the reaction of some business associates when I told them that I am leaving Malaysia by the final quarter of next year. I never dreamed that I made such an impact on them, seeing their tears and being enveloped by hugs all day, it surprised me.

Like I mentioned before, I am learning new things about the people I knew and thought I knew. Sometimes you think that the people you feel closest to are the ones that care the most about you but then by their actions, you soon realise that probably it was just you that cared for them. Then there are others whom you just didn't have a clue as to how much they cherish you.

For these next 10 months here, I want to focus my time and my love on the people who genuinely care for me and treasure my friendship. When I am on my own, it is these very people who will keep me going from where ever they are. It will not be the ones who take my existence for granted even though I may love them and treasure them.

All in all so far, today has been a fun filled flawless fantastic day. And the best of it all was hearing my mom say this would be one of those days that she will always remember being with me.

No comments: